Making sauerkraut

The cooler weather has arrived, and I’m planting out my German cabbage seeds for next year’s sauerkraut production. These uniquely German large white conical cabbages are grown in the area known as the Fildern to the south of Stuttgart in southern Germany. One of the local towns is called Filder, which literally means ‘fields’ in old German. The cabbages themselves are called Filder-Spitzkraut

I’ve been fortunate to be able to bring seeds of this wonderful cabbage back into Australia, and have grown them on for a few years now to build up my seed stock. I’ll have these available at the next Seed Savers meeting.

In the meantime, here’s our previous post about how we make, use and store sauerkraut from the Hills And Plains Seed Savers blog.

Since then we’ve discovered a source of wide-mouthed ‘Mason Jars’ available in Australia that would be suitable for storing sauerkraut.

DSCN0005 DSCN0009

0 comments:

Post a Comment